April 27 update on Lovill Hall Fire
The investigation into the April 24 fire in Lovill Hall is actively underway. University Police continue to work with the Boone Fire Department and have investigated the scene of the fire, reviewed surveillance video of the residence hall, conducted multiple interviews and continue to conduct interviews and follow up on leads discovered through interviews and anonymous tips.
Anyone with information regarding this incident or any other crime is encouraged to report the information by:
- Calling University Police at 828-262-2150.
- Reporting online via anonymous web submission at http://police.appstate.edu or http://www.highcountrycrimestoppers.com
- Texting "NCTIP [plus your tip]" to 274637 (CRIMES).
If your information leads to an arrest, you may be eligible for a reward up to $1,000.00.
Support for students affected by the fire continues:
- University Housing continues to work with students whose living spaces were affected, and students who were temporarily relocated to an area hotel are returning to campus on Thursday.
- Transportation is being arranged to facilitate academic support during the final week of classes and into the final exam period.
- The University Bookstore is providing assistance with textbook rentals for students whose books were damaged.
- The Belk Library and Information Commons and Technical Support Services are assisting students whose technological devices were affected by water damage.
- University counselors are working with students as needed.
- The Dean of Students and the Office of Equity, Diversity and Compliance are providing support for students navigating challenges.
University Police continue to work to ensure the safety of our students and members of our university community. The investigation leads police to believe this is an isolated incident and there is no evidence to suggest that there is a continuing threat to the community. The Dean of Students, Office of Equity, Diversity and Compliance and University Police encourage students, faculty and staff to reach out if they need support or assistance.