March 6 Topic: Discussions with Student Leaders to Begin This Week
On Friday, March 2, a group of students presented Chancellor Peacock with a list of action items they would like to see the university accomplish. The Chancellor pledged to review these items, and conversations are beginning this week between student leaders and university officials. The items presented for discussion are below:
- Adopt an improved training process focused on recognizing and dismantling rape myths for those serving on the Student Conduct Board;
- Create an Interpersonal Violence Prevention Coordinator position on staff to educate, inform, and actively engage members of the Appalachian community in collectively preventing sexual assault, relationship violence and stalking;
- Develop a University-supported bystander intervention training program, enabling students to recognize early signs of interpersonal violence and equipping them with skills to prevent it;
- Create a University-supported program training participants to effectively support student survivors of interpersonal violence;
- Review the execution of the current alert system concerning general student body notification after a sexual assault.